1. —We __ that you would fix the TV set this week?
—I’m sorry. I ____ to fix it this week, but I’ve been too busy.
A. had expected; had intended B. are expecting; had intended
C. expect; intend D. expected; intend
2. —How are you today?
—Oh, I ____ as ill as I do now for a very long time.
A. didn’t feel B. wasn’t feeling C. don’t feel D. haven’t felt
3. —The child didn’t take the medicine yesterday evening, did he?
A. No, but I wish he did B. Yes, but I wish he did
C. No, but I wish he had D. Yes, but I wish he had
4. —Why were you in a bad mood yesterday?
—My son ____ me down badly though I trusted him.
A. put B. left C. let D. set
5. —That is to say, you ____ to Japan last year.
—Yes, but my mother won’t let me.
A. were to have gone B. were to go C. had gone D. went
6. —Shall I come with you tomorrow?
—I’d rather you ____.
A. didn’t B. won’t C. don’t D. wouldn’t
7. —What do you think of the color of my new blouse?
—Very good. You look nice in green. Green ____ you.
A. suits B. fits C. matches D. meets
8. —Would you like to take a walk with us?
—Sorry, I’m too busy to _____.
A. get away B. put away C. run away D. give away
9. —I think it’s a good idea.
—I couldn’t agree _____.
A. much B. less C. more D. little
10. —Tom is very stupid. He fails in the exam.
—In my opinion, he is _____ than stupid.
A. lazier B. no lazier C. more lazy D. lazier rather
11. –And besides, these colors are more _____ you.
A. becoming to B. belonging to C. referring to D. used to
12. —Do you have any idea what Tom did yesterday afternoon?
—I know he spent at least as much time playing football as he _____.
A. did writing B. wrote C. spent to write D. was writing
13. —Why did you stop writing?
—My ink has _____.
A. used up B. run out of C. given away D. given out
14. —Do you know when the Chinese custom ____ from?
—It’s hard to say. But its characteristics (特色) ____ the Tang Dynasty.
A. date; suggest B. started; show C. began; prove D. is; appear
15. —Did he ___ you the bike for 400 yuan?
—Yes, but I wasn’t taking it anyway.
A. offer B. pay C. take D. sell
16. —Mary looks unhappy.
—Yes, she always ___ our success.
A. envies B. cheers C. admires D. stops
17. —Do you understand what I said?
—I didn’t ____ the last two words.
A. grasp B. catch C. seize D. follow
18. —Have you heard that Mary has been appointed Director of Department?
—After working so hard for so many years, _____.
A. she surely welcome it B. she certainly deserves it
c. she is welcome to it D. it’s good news
19. —How about the price of these refrigerators?
—They’re equal in price to if not cheaper than, ____ at the other stores.
A. others B. it C. that D. the others
20. —What made him so unhappy?
—____ the ticket for the football match.
A. Having been lost B. Lost C. Because of losing D. Losing
21. —There are so many things to learn today!
—Don’t worry. You needn’t trouble ____ them all.
A. to remember B. remembering C. of remembering D. remember
22. —What were you doing when the telephone rang?
—I ____ away my books and ___ to bed.
A. had just put; was going B. was just putting; going
C. had put; had gone D. have just put; gone
23. —Would you like to go to the concert with me, Mary?
—I have got no interest in it, ___ I have lots of work to do.
A. otherwise B. besides C. however D. therefore
24. —Are there any English story books for us students in the library?
—There’re only a few, ____.
A. if any B. if there C. if some D. if has
25. —I’m sorry. I stepped outside for a smoke. I was very tired.
—There’s no ____ for this while you are on duty.
A. reason B. excuse C. cause D. explanation
26. —Do you ____ to be on duty?
—Yes, I do it ____.
A. by turns; take turns B. in turn; to turns
C. take turns; by turns D. get turns; in turn
27. —Harry! You ___ on the phone.
—Oh, _____. Thank you.
A. are wanted; I come B. are wanted; I’m coming
C. want; I’m coming D. are being wanted; I’m coming
28. —____ will we have to go?
—Just one mile. Keep walking.
A. How long B. How far C. How many D. How much farther
29. —Do you mind if Peter join you in your work?
—Yes, I do. I will be glad to work with ____ Peter.
A. anyone but B. no one except C. all besides D. everyone and
30. —What did she ___ so much money?
—Nothing but a necklace made of glass.
A. spend on B. pay for C. buy for D. take for
31. —She is seldom seen these days.
—I believe we’ll ___ see ____ of her in the future.
A. ever; less B. even; more C. even; less D. even; little
32. —Did the book give the information you need?
—Yes, but ____ I had to read it entirely.
A. for finding it B. to find it C. finding it D. by finding it
33. —Did you catch the first bus this morning?
—No, it had left the stop ____ I got there.
A. as soon as B. for the time C. by the time D. at that time
34. —You were brave enough to raise objections at the meeting.
—Well, now I regret ____ that.
A. to do B. to be doing C. to have done D. having done
35. —What good wine!
—Yes. Nowhere else in the world ___ wine like this.
A. find out B. can you find out C. has got D. there is
36. —____ Triela was in such a hurry?
—I don’t know. She might have been running to catch the bus.
A. Why do you think B. Why you think
C. Do you think why D. Why not think
37. —What’s the matter with you? You look so sleepy.
—I’m not quite ____ today.
A. myself B. my own C. me D. mine
38. —You’ve agreed to go. So why aren’t you getting ready?
—But I ___ that you ____ me to start at once.
A. don’ t realize; want B. hadn’t realized; wanted
C. haven’t realized; want D. didn’t realize; wanted
39. —Not all present would believe what the reporter said, I’m afraid.
A. So do I B. Nor am I C. I agree D. I’m afraid, too
40. —I thought you might have got drunk.
—Yes, I ____.
A. almost have B. almost had C. almost did D. might have
1—5 ADCCA 6—10 AAACC 11—15 AADAA 16—20 ABBDD
21—25 AABAB 26—30 CBDAC 31—35 ABCDB 36—40 AADCC